THROWBACK THURSDAY STYLE ICON
Today’s #tbt post is on my most favorite fashion designer of all time. He is described by the masses as “visionary,” “legendary,” and “shocking.” He was as skilled and innovative as they come and he led fashion down a road that had never been traveled by any designer before him. He struggled with his emotions as the press ate him alive; however, he overcame so many challenges throughout his life and is now known today as one of the most influential designers of all time. As a youngster, I idolized this designer. In fact, I enrolled in Fashion school because of this designer. He made such an impact on my life as well as on the rest of the world. To my dismay, at the ripe age of 40, he committed suicide – a tragedy that shook the world. Therefore, today’s #tbt post honors the great Alexander McQueen.
15 Facts About McQueen:
1. He once sewed the phrase ‘I am a cunt’ into the lining of a handmade suit for Prince Charles.
2. McQueen is credited with popularizing the skull motif in fashion.
3. In 1998 he caused controversy when double amputee Aimee Mullins, a former Paralympian, modeled on the catwalk wearing a pair of hand-carved wooden prosthetic legs.
4. In his Spring/Summer 1999 show, he had two robots spray neon paint all over a layered white tube dress.
5. Lady Gaga wore several pairs of 10-inch McQueen stilettos in her video for “Bad Romance”; the so-called Armadillo shoes soon after, created hype across the internet.
6. He directed the music video for Bjork’s single “Alarm Call.”
7. McQueen left his post at Givenchy in 2001 when he claimed his contract with the Arnault-owned French label was “constraining his creativity” and that “to [Bernard] Arnault, Givenchy is just a perfume.”
8. He told Vogue that his first couture collection with Givenchy was “crap.”
9. He once publicly dissed David Beckham, saying “That man is vainer than the veins running through my dick.”
10. Despite his dedicated and wild lifestyle, there always an underlying current of sensitivity to McQueen’s design ethos, he described as trying “to protect people. A lot of my clothes are hard-edged, like armor.”
Share your favorite style icon below! xx