I’m a wanderer. When I think of myself staying in one place, I start to cringe, quite the same way I would cringe if I were trying to sleep in a bed that’s too short for my legs. I need to stretch, and move, and expand my horizon.
The world can feel so small sometimes. Everywhere I travel I expand my horizon a bit more, meeting new people and observing different ways of life. However, no matter the amount of places I go and the types of people I interact with, there always seems to be one common factor that remains the same. That factor that remains constant throughout my adventures is that human nature tends to look the same across the board. People are curious, forward thinking, and engaged. People everywhere are interested in other cultures – whether it’s through art or music or culinary experiences – people are curious. People are generous. When someone is lost, injured, or upset, people like to help. It makes us feel good. People like other people. When someone sees a familiar face, their own face lights up. And people generally like meeting new people. New people teach us new things and it makes us more enlightened. People all over the world share common human characteristics. We are all the same in these aspects.
This is precisely why I despise Donald J Trump. He is none of these things.
Donald Trump is in fact the opposite of what human beings are by nature. He is not normal. Nothing about Trump is normal. And here are a few reasons why:
- As soon as he was inaugurated, he made an executive order restricting U.S. travel from 7 predominantly-Muslim nations – excluding those Muslim countries where he has business obviously.
2. Trump has no interest in helping other countries, clearly not understanding that everything happening around the world is affecting America in some way or another.
3. He despises other cultures, only accepting those who are “American.” And I follow #3 with a question… What is an “American?”
4. He plans on building a wall, dividing Mexico from the United States. That reminds me of when I was five and my brother and I would build a wall in the backseat on road trips. It’s what children do.
5. Trump’s administration took down the Spanish-language version of the official White House website. This happened right after the pages on civil rights history, climate change and LGBT issues were also removed.
6. He signed executive actions to advance approval of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines. The Dakota Access pipeline, a 1,172 mile pipeline would go through four states, destroying Native American land and contaminating the water downstream for 17 million Americans in the process. Wait.. what year is this again? What ever happened to alternative and renewable energy?
7. Trump signed a presidential memorandum reviving a rule that was first instituted by Reagan in the early 80’s – a rule that prevents funds from going to certain health charities which counsel on abortions. He hopes to overturn the Roe vs Wade Supreme Court ruling in order to make abortions in US illegal. This is quoted as ‘the strongest the pro-life movement has been since 1973.’ Let’s keep moving backwards and see where that takes us…
8. Within hours of his inauguration, Trump began appealing the Affordable Care Act. CNN wrote, “The directive called on the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in addition to other agencies, to interpret regulations as loosely as possible to minimize the financial burden on individuals, insurers, health care providers and others.” Who will this affect? That answer is still up for debate.
9. Trump dismissed climate change as a “Chinese hoax” and removed all mention of the global catastrophe on the official White House website. My guess is he doesn’t believe in dinosaurs or evolution either… Side note: The new Head of the Environmental Protection Agency is Scott Pruitt, another non-believer of global warming, who has actually sued the Environmental Protection Agency…14 times.
10. The ‘president’ tweeted his plans to America, expressing his hopes to ‘greatly expand its nuclear capability’ and then quoted on MSNBC, “Let there be an arms race, because we will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all.” Can somebody please give this child back his Playstation…
11. Trump has threatened to go to war with his own intelligence agencies. He accused them of false intelligence and compared them to ‘Nazi Germany.’ Well if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black…
12. After just two weeks on the job, Trump is leaving for his vacation. Although it is not uncommon for a president to take a vacation or to work away from the White House, let’s not forget how upset the Republicans were when Obama took his vacation 180 days after taking office. Now that the entire country is ablaze with destabilizing controversy, Trump finds it suitable to take a holiday 10 days after being in office. Hey, atleast he’s keeping up with his tweets while he’s away.
13. After the shooting in the Carrousel du Louvre, an underground shopping mall in Paris, which resulted in small wounds to one person, Trump was on top of the game, quickly tweeting, “A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.” First of all, wrong Louvre, Donald. Second of all, what about last Sunday’s murder of six Muslims at a Quebec mosque. Not important enough to tweet about?
14. There has been a massive spike in hate crimes across the US since Trump’s election. The Southern Poverty Law Centre revealed statistics of about 1,000 cases in the days following Trump’s election- a number they would expect to see over a six month period.
15. The Trump organization used the Trump Hotel in order to bribe diplomats to stay in the super expensive suites which cost up to $20,000 a night. Wait, isn’t bribery a reasonable cause for impeachment?
16. And while on the subject of the Trump Hotel, why is this business even being kept in the family? Again.. reason for impeachment?
17. His election was rigged! It’s been proven, like by the CIA and shit. Am I missing something here? Is the government really doing nothing about this??
18. And to prove my point even further, may I conclude by reminding everyone that the first day of Trump’s presidency saw the biggest international protest in history. That’s one bigly reason to know that things aren’t alright.
So there. Keep your eyes open and stay engaged! This is not normal and we human beings deserve better.